Monday, March 28, 2016

Pretty (and happy) on the road





“Life is like a road trip – enjoy each day and don’t carry too much baggage.” –-Anon. (And "Amen.")


Not being home on a holiday can be a bit sad, unless you are at home no matter where you are. (I am striving toward that goal!)


I wasn’t home on Easter this year. Instead of having ham and deviled eggs for dinner, I had a bbq brisket sandwich and a side of slaw at a place called "Booger Red's Saloon."



And then I hopped on a longhorn steer and posed for a picture.

Happy Easter!

Instead of being in Aurora, Illinois, I was in Fort Worth, Texas.


Not a typical Easter Sunday for me.


Before that good Texas barbecue, I attended a rock & roll Easter Sunday service surrounded by the cutest tiny humans ever.

And I learned something.


The pastor told those gathered that the thing that stands in the way of our happiness usually is us. We are the biggest obstacles to our own happiness. We stand in the way of our own joy.

There are many, many things in life that can get in the way of our happiness, health and well-being. The way we react to them is what can bring us peace and even joy. 

Last Thursday afternoon, I was excited to get home from work, change into my blue jeans and hop a flight to Dallas with my bestie.

I was almost home when the driver behind me didn't stop when I did. That car hit my car, which pushed my car into the car in front of me.

It was raining and it was chilly. And the road was crazy busy. But I got out of my car, anyway, and walked to the car behind mine. I could see the driver's airbag had deployed. I opened the door but couldn't see the driver. I asked if he or she was OK. No answer. Then I looked back and saw that a police car was pulling up, so I went back to my car.

The officer performed his duties and because my car was drivable, I was free to go. I then met my friend at her place, we got to the airport, made our flight, and safely arrived at our destination by midnight.
Yes, it's sad to know that my car now has thousands of dollars worth of damage. But aside from some sore muscles, I am OK. And the other drivers are OK, too.

I was able to put the accident aside for a few days so I could fully enjoy my trip. The weather was beautiful, I saw two performances of "Cinderella" by Texas Ballet Theatre, did some antique-mall shopping and ate some really good food.

Now it's time to deal with all the challenges a car accident brings.

I will try my best to remember that I am the maker of my own happiness. And that traveling with as little baggage as possible is the easiest way to get from Point A to Point B. Or from Chicago to Dallas. Or from a rainy intersection to home.

Bass Performance Hall




 

   

   




  






The program

Antique Mall find

1 comment: