Saturday, March 5, 2016

The birth of my blog

Remember when you were in your 20s and you wondered if you were ready to start a family?

I do. The decision was such a huge one. I thought about it and worried over it, and then one day I woke up and I was ready. I just knew.

That's sort of like starting a blog, I've found. Ever since I discovered my daughter's friend's blog, Heart of Chic, I've thought, "Hey, I could do that." But instead of writing a fashion and lifestyle blog for 20-somethings, I wanted to write one for 50-somethings. And 60- and 70-somethings.

Like any new endeavor, I wondered if it was the right time. As the communications manager for the library system in the second-largest city in Illinois, I thought I might not have time. Friends seemed doubtful or a little confused when I told them I was going to start a fashion blog. 

But when spring (or at least meteorological spring [yes, that's a thing here in chilly Chicagoland]) rolled around on March 1, I said, "OK. It's time."

So I am jumping in with both feet, not knowing exactly where I'm going or how I'll get there. But, hey, I was a journalist back in the day when we typed our stories on typewriters. And I learned to use a computer, and later a TV remote and a cell phone. I figure I have the most important component: a command of the English language. Figuring out the technology will come along with practice (bear with me!).

Donnell Collins
So a little later today, I am going to the photo studio of my longtime friend and former newspaper coworker Donnell Collins for my first fashion shoot. Donnell has taken my photos before and it's always a fun time. Here is a photo Donnell took of me about four years ago:

Amy Roth by Donnell Collins

Perhaps the hardest part about this whole process so far was coming up with a name for my blog. Pretty Over 50 seems to fit. Although a successful, fulfilling life at any age is not dependent on being pretty on the outside, I think we all long to be pretty and strong and caring on the inside. And that beauty from within always radiates outward.

So there you have it. The beginning of my fashion and lifestyle blog, right here. Coming up soon, after today's photo shoot, will be some tips on how to put together things you have in your wardrobe so that you can move (somewhat) effortlessly from winter into spring.

One way to get your attitude in line is with vintage shopping! My friend Gina and I took the afternoon off on Thursday so we could hit the "Vintage Shop Hop" trail a day early. Check out all the shops (more than 300 participating) in Illinois and Wisconsin THIS WEEKEND.

And check out my Shop Hop pictures on my facebook page.



 
 

 

2 comments: